- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1/2 medium size onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeno pepper (I used some pickled jalapeno from a jar and diced it)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken strips (cooked and shredded) Note: I slow boiled the chicken strips in a pot with some chicken broth, salt and pepper and cooked them for about 20 minutes until they were tender, then I shredded the meat, you can always use left over chicken if you have some on hand.
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1/2 cup frozen kernal corn
- 1 (32 oz.) carton chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- jasmine rice (or your favorite rice)
- crushed tortilla chips
Heat oil in large pot, med-high, add onion and jalapeno and cook until tender a couple of minutes,
stir in chicken, beans, tomatoes, corn, broth, tomato paste, cumin and chili powder. Heat to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and cook 30 minutes or until ready to serve. When ready to serve add lime juice and season with salt to taste and if desired, more cumin or chili powder to taste.
Add rice to the bottom of your bowl, top with soup mixture using a slotted spoon, then add the liquid to your bowl with a large spoon until you get the desired consistency, top with crushed tortilla chips.
Other garnishes you can use are: