Pages

3/17/2009

Easy Yummy Salsa Recipe

This is such a delicious and easy recipe, and it tastes like fresh tomatoes are used, but they are canned...

You will need:

  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes and diced green chiles (I used great value brand)
  • 1 Large can of petite diced tomatoes (I believe this one I used was a 32 oz.) The amount will equal about 2 regular sized cans. I used great value Wal-mart brand.
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • chopped garlic clove
  • 1 -2 Tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantra
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup (depending on your taste) of white vinegar
  • Sprinkle of Salt
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. taco bell mild sauce
  • Tortilla Chips for dipping
Note: If you like your salsa smooth (which I do) you'll need a hand held blender to blend the tomatoes. I have never tried this recipe without blending them, so I recommend doing so. I use a Durabrand hand held emmersion blender ($10.00 at Wal-mart) to blend salsa to desired consistency, I like it smooth.....not chunky. The hand held blender makes this a snap.....you blend it right in the saucepan.

In a medium sauce pan, bring the vinegar, onion, and garlic to a boil. Remove from heat and add canned tomatoes, rotel, and other ingredients. Now, blend with the hand held Emmersion Blender.... right in the pot. Once blended to desired consistency, return to heat and bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat. Let cool and serve with Tortilla Chips. Great for an appetizer or serve with a Mexican style dinner......like my taco recipe in the post below.

** Leftover salsa can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 weeks.

Enjoy~