For the Cake you will need:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 oz. of flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Beat softened butter and shortening in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, (I usually mash them together with the back of a spoon before I beat with the mixer), gradually add sugar, beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each, In another bowl combine flour and baking soda, then add to creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix after each addition. Stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans. Bake 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean when inserted in the cake. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove and let cool completely on wire racks.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting you will need:
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine softened (to soften, I just leave it out on the counter about an hour or two until it's softened enough to mix, same with the cream cheese below)
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. of cream cheese softened
- 1 (3 oz.) pkg. of cream cheese softened
- 6 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Cream butter and cream cheese together with the back of a spoon until it's mixed together, stir until creamy and mixed well, gradually add sugar a little at the time, beat with mixer until smooth, add vanilla extract and beat until blended. If desired, you can add a touch of milk if want the frosting less thick or you can add more powdered sugar if you want it thicker. Add either for desired consistency.
Frost your cake.