Sauerkraut with Mashed Potatoes


Here's what you will need below:
  • Homemade Mashed Potatoes are used for this recipe, you can use your own favorite recipe or you can get my recipe for Homemade Mashed Potatoes HERE (you'll have t scroll to the bottom of that post to find it)
  •  You'll also need,  1 can of sauerkraut (drained, but I don't drain all of the juices off of the sauerkraut, I like to leave a little. I drain the can just by leaving the opened lid of the can on the can and then simply draining the liquid off into the sink)
  • 3 Smoked Bacon Strips
  •  1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • Sprinkled black pepper
  • enough water to cover the sauerkraut


Place bacon strips in medium saucepan, cook on med-high heat until there is some grease in the pan, but "not" until the bacon is crispy. Add slightly drained sauerkraut, salt, and sprinkled pepper to the saucepan, then cover with water. Bring to a boil, then cover pan with lid, and reduce heat to low to med-low and cook for an hour or so.

Use a large spoon to spoon saurkraut and juices over homemade mashed pototoes.

Enjoy!

*For a healthier lower saturated fat version, leave out the bacon and use beef broth instead of water. 

Special thanks to my sweet German Mother-In-Law, who has always cooked this during the holidays and she finally got me to try this a few years ago. I'm glad I got brave and decided to give it a try.  I had been missing out on such a delicious combination ....I'd never even wanted to try sauerkraut​ before, and who'd have ever thought that mashed potatoes would be great with sauerkraut? I sure would have never thought that I would like it, but I love it and it is one of my favorite dishes. I cook it all the time. 
I believe she uses a different pork meat in her recipe, but I used bacon (if you've looked much at my recipes....I use bacon to season a lot of my vegetables and foods)