Sweet Potato Casserole


Grease a 13 by 9 inch casserole dish or baking pan this recipe will be a two step...a filling and a topping

For the filling you will need:
  • 4 cups Cooked mashed sweet potatoes....I used 6 medium sized sweet potatoes, I washed and dried them, then greased them with cooking oil, then I baked them in the oven, on a foil lined cookie sheet at 400 degrees for an hour, then let them cool. Then I pulled the skins off and placed them in a medium mixing bowl and mashed them with a pototoe masher)
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup SugarStart with 1/2 cup, then just taste it and judge the amount you want to add by how sweet you would like to make this dish
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs (beaten)
Mix ingredients together in a bowl until mixture is smooth, put it in the greased baking dish and make the topping now

For the topping you will need:
  • 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine plus a tablespoon more
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
Mix ingredients and spread over and top the casserole...

*Important Note:
  •  You will also need a Bag of Miniature Marshmallows for this recipe, you will not need the whole bag though, and remember not to top the casserole with the marshmallows until it's almost done cooking.
Bake in preheated oven  350 degrees for 30 min. then take it out of the oven and top with miniature marshmallows, then cook an additional 5 minutes or so until the marshmallows are  golden brown. You'll need to keep an eye on it, you know how fast marshmallows can burn.

Enjoy!

Special thanks to my friend Ann for sharing this recipe with me in 2004..... I've been fixing this during the holidays, every year since then and my family and I love it.